Sunday, May 10, 2009

YAK TRACKS: Yakking in D.C.'s "Taste of Vermont" Festival

Here's why Vermont is so darn wonderful.

I woke up early last Thursday morning to fly down to Washington, D.C. to attend the wedding of an old friend.

Before leaving for the airport, I read in the Burlington Free Press when I awoke that Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy had organized an annual "Taste of Vermont" event featuring 50 Vermont food-related businesses, to be held in the Russell Building's caucus room, next door to the Capitol.

So, I did what any enterprising Vermont yak farmer would do. I threw some yak sausage in my luggage, called Senator Leahy's office from the JFK airport, and attended the "Taste of Vermont" event in D.C. that night, thanks to a whole cast of incredibly gracious and welcoming Vermonters who took time out from planning this event to ensure that I was welcome.

More than 400 people attended, including our entire Vermont Congressional delegation.

And the food, needless to say, was phenomenal. Here's a "Yakberry" shot of our friends at American Flatbread serving up the good stuff.



I hope that Vermont Yak Company will be represented at "Taste of Vermont" next year, but in the meantime, deep thanks to Gretchen and the entire Vermont contingent for planning this event, and welcoming us to the table.

Yak on, Vermont!

No comments: